Monday, January 18, 2010

To Sir with Love by E.R. Braithwaite

I am winding up the Orbis Terrarum challenge of 2009 with this final book by an author from Guyana. Though technically is is already 2010 and past my deadline to post the review , I say 'Better late than never'
This book is an autobiography of Braithwaite where he narrates the various testing times he had to go through to find a place in the hearts of his students. Edward is a coloured person who takes up a job as a teacher in a school in London. He is faced with copious amounts of racial discrimination and is subject to ill treatment.
The crux of the story is about how he brings about a change in a batch of unruly students who are disrespectful, crude and unkempt. He rectifies their behaviour , enforces them to address each other with courtesy and even makes them dress up more tidily. The story is about how students behave when you treat them like young adults and explain things to them without being dogmatic and dominating .
The book is a very simple read and the story is very heart warming. It kind of makes you look back on school life and reminisce on a few teacher(s) who made a difference to your life. Pick it up if you are looking for a light book with a touch of sensitivity .

6 Comments:

  1. Shweta said...
    I won this book for a essay competition and I remember reading it in one go and discussing it with my family. A wonderful story. Great movie adaptation too
    Divya said...
    i remember reading a chapter or so from this book as part of the curriculum in 7th or 8th grade. Seems like a nice book
    Preethi Mahalingam said...
    @shweta : yeah a very nice story. Yet to see the movie
    @dd : I think u ll like this book. Read it when u find time
    Anonymous said...
    I have to try this book, it must be great! I have read his "Measure of a Man" and absolutely loved it..
    Anonymous said...
    OMG this is one of my favorite books and movies of all time. I randomly start singing To Sir With Love by Lulu lol. It's a classic.

    I found you thru the Blog Hop. You have a lovely site. Here's mine: Silly Little Game Called Life
    Anonymous said...
    Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates