Thursday, April 30, 2009

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga


The much acclaimed book 'The white tiger' was one of the books I was itching to read.The reasons being the fact that not only was the author a booker prize winner but also a Chennai born.
The narration of the story was refreshing as it was based on letters written to a Chinese premier, in a style very different from other contemporary books.
The content is our every day rags to riches story of a commoner named Balram Halwai. However it is the narration and the wit of the book that keeps you going.
The story is centred around the life and plights of the servant class in India. The picture he paints of the trauma that the servile class undergo is partly true (though not completely). The author uses subtle wit and humour to mock at the various characters and their doings.
I have conflicting views on the book. At one hand I could relate to the fact that 'In India you do not have drivers, gardeners,etc. You only have servants'. He says that irrespective of what you have been appointed for you should be able to fit into another servant's shoes with ease. Thus a driver would also need to sweep the floor, make dinner and cater to the master's whims. However the portrayal of the master's cruelty and insensitivity is slightly overboard.
There are parts of the book which make me think 'Why does he have to portray India as a poor ,destitute country living in "Darkness"?'However certain parts of it make me smile as I find some of the incidents so real
In short it is definitely worth a read. Once you start reading it you wont realise that you have reached the end of the book - it is that interesting.

7 Comments:

  1. Eva @ One Swede Read said...
    I've heard before about the witty writing and am looking forward to reading it - it's in my bookcase! Thanks for the review.

    /Eva - fellow OT-er
    Preethi Mahalingam said...
    @one swede : yeah u should catch this book. Quite a nice read
    Elizabeth said...
    This sounds like such an interesting read - I'm definitely going to look for it. Thanks for the review!
    Unknown said...
    I got round to finishing it and I must tell you though I didnt like the way he had portrayed Indians ,it was still gripping.I couldnt put it down as I wanted to know what happens next.
    Preethi Mahalingam said...
    @elizabeth :yeah you should read it
    @shona : agreed ! it was quite gripping
    i think therefore i am said...
    I have this next on my reading list based on your review. Will update when I am done
    Ms D said...
    I just completed reading the book last night and I must admit it was a very good read.I wonder if the author intentionally did not want the reader to like Balram? He portaryed the "hero" very negatively although not to the poiint where you would hate him.

    I also wonder if the servants acrross India actually think and behave in the way they were portrayed? I have always believed the Indian community as a very humble and serving community....I am of Indian descent born in South Africa but still feel a bond with the land of my forefathers.

    Anyway, I did enjoy the book and will look forward to what this author publishes next.

    Can anyone recommned a good book that realistically depicts India and the culture?


    Ms D

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates